Here are 5 quick tips to help you manage confidential data:
- Clearly define what ‘confidential data’ means within your organisation and remember that it can be held on paper or electronic media.
- Assess the risk to the organisation if such data falls into the wrong hands. This might be anything from mild embarrassment to severe financial penalties, and, potentially, criminal proceedings.
- Establish a clear policy of how such data should be treated and ensure that the necessary measures and resources are put in place to facilitate its implementation.
- Make certain that everyone in your organisation is aware of their responsibilities under this policy.
- Allocate responsibility for data destruction to a single person who will formalise and manage procedures, and liaise with appointed external service providers.